Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another post on The Pretty Reckless and Taylor Momsen

I did everything in my power to fight The Pretty Reckless phenom. Really, I didn't want any part of it. I didn't want to believe this sorry excuse for brooding teen angst actually had the least bit of talent. I wanted to look and laugh and enjoy in a mocking sort of way where I could walk away and listen to something else. Something better. Someone not known as "Little J." I feel like I'm in some sort of insane comedic relationship with myself where the outcome is becoming less of a music enthusiast and more of a pop culture wannabe.

Then wannabe it is. I downloaded their album yesterday, Light Me Up, and it's got me. I hate to admit it, but it really does. I've listened to it all of yesterday and so far all of this morning. I feel like I am in the period in college when I was really into AFI - THAT is who they remind me of (Now I wish I still had their CD so I could listen and reminisce).

Point being....there are lines like "Does what I'm wearing seem to shock you? Well that's ok" and "Since you've been gone my life has moved on quite nicely, actually" and they surprisingly don't phase me in the slightest.

I feel like I've moved past a period of music in my life - that that I used to listen to in high school and college and this is what it reminds me of and I am having a damn good time reliving it.

With that being said - my favorite song off their album so far is Light Me Up. Not that I could hear it at the concert a few weeks ago with all the screaming teenagers and the multiple alcoholic beverages coursing through my veins. Did I mention the concert was fun? I had a great time with my girlfriends, albeit we stuck out like sore thumbs.

Annemarie, Ari, Me, Marisa, Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment