Friday, July 9, 2010

ILU Jamie Lidell.


I mentioned in my last post, Jamie Lidell, who's music I have been lusting over for the past few months. It was suggested I listen to him after telling a friend how much I loved Mayer Hawthorne (another post will be dedicated to him because he is great as well) and I instantly fell in love with his music. He is a one man, modern, beatboxing, soul machine. His song, Little Bit of Feel Good, really sealed the deal for me. I can't listen to it without grooving (yeah, I said grooving). I am also fairly certain I've heard his song, Little Bit More, on a commercial at one point in my life.


(Note: The song Little Bit of Feel Good also reminds me of my friend DA who drunkenly jammed out to it in the back seat of my car, wearing my giant white sunglasses. Still kicking myself for somehow losing that video!)


So anyway, as I said in my last post. I have 3 of his CDs: Multiply, JIM, and his most recent and most interesting, Compass. JIM was an instant hit with me. Obviously, that's the CD that had little bit of feel good. Multiply was his first one, and although not bad, you can tell. I have to admit I was NOT a fan of Compass right off the bat. Except for the song Completely Exposed, and more importantly the lyric "I don't wanna be closed, but opening up has left me completely exposed". I found his beat boxing and unorthadox melodies to be annoying and unorganized unlike his first 2 CDs, but after listening to it for a few weeks I have fallen madly in love with it, maybe even more than the first two. It's strange, and soulful, and offbeat, and totally on beat, and melodical all at the same time. With songs like Enough Is Enough, The Ring, and Your Sweet Boom how can you not love him?!


Point being, if you like music that really makes you want to groove (and yes, I keep saying groove because I feel like it's the one and only way to best describe what I want to do when hearing him) then you should probably listen to him.


That being said, happy friday, happy listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment