Friday, December 17, 2010

Pretty Lights

Yesterday I fell in love with the musical enigma that is Pretty Lights. Thought up by Boulder, CO dropout, Derek Vincent Smith, Pretty Lights is a pretty imaginative mashup of techno, electronic, funk, soul, hip-hop, and jazz...mixed in with tributes to stars like B.I.G. and Etta James.

I already had their EP - Making Up A Changing Mind, given to me by a friend quite some time ago, but yesterday I downloaded albums Glowing In The Darkest Night & Spilling Over Every Side, both released in 2010. I have had Making Up A Changing Mind for MONTHS and I have no idea why I never got into it, but yesterday was my day for appreciating the art that is DJing and becoming more than a little obsessed. The song Total Fascination is what did it for me. This tune got me dancing in my seat at work and I must have listened to it about 100 times, even sending it to my boyfriend and my friend, Will, asking what they thought because I was SO obsessed.

Not only does Smith create some incredible songs, but the artwork I've found associated with this DJ is pretty awesome as well - here are a couple...


Derek Vincent Smith


This guy is absolutely worth looking into if you're into hip-hop or just looking for something upbeat and fun to get you through the work day or psyched for going out on a Friday night. If you like what you hear you can download all of his music [for free] from the link above - but I stress, please donate at least a couple bucks to him and his music because it's great and it's the right thing to do.

Here's two more to get you all motivated! - Still Night & Gazing At The Glare

No comments:

Post a Comment