Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Sing-Off Ep. 2

So The Sing-Off episode 2 aired last night and I have to say, usually there is one group that stands out amongst the rest for me, but in the 2nd half of last nights episode each group kept getting better and better!

First and foremost all groups came together in the opening number - Kings Of Leon's "Use Somebody" (I could only find a small clip in the beginning of this vid...) - which was heartfelt and emotional. The theme of last night episode was popular music I believe, or top 40, or something along those lines.

Here was the breakdown -
  • On The Rocks - T.I. and Rihanna "Live Your Life"
  • Streetcorener Symphony - Train "Hey Soul Sister"
  • Eleventh Hour - Bruno Mars "Just The Way You Are"
  • Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town - Duffy "Mercy"
  • The Backbeats - The Script "Break Even"
  • Committed - One Republic "Apologize"
  • Groove For Thought - Mike Posner "Cooler Than Me"
  • The Whiffenpoofs - Michael Buble "Just Haven't Met You Yet"
In the first half I thought both On The Rocks and Eleventh Hour weren't up to par. I felt Eleventh Hour had too many holes in their harmonies and On The Rocks didn't have enough talent to back up their big stage presence. I was also a little dissapointed in the choice for Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town because it was a genre they were used to, not something out of the ordinary, although they did a fantastic job. Streetcorner Symphony has been one of my favorites from the start, mostly because I have a huge crush on the lead singers voice and one of their members looks like John Lennon - Swoon, their rendition of Hey Soul Sister was playful and inventive. No surprise to me, but....

SPOILER!!

Eleventh Hour went home.

The second half was such a close call it surprised me! All of the acts were great, but the 2 stand out performances were Apologize (Committed) and Cooler Than Me (Groove For Thought). Even now listening to Committed's rendition of Apologize gives me goosebumps! Their harmonies are impecible! I didn't think that Backbeat was able to stay while...

SPOILER!!

TheWhiffenpoofs were sent home, but alas they were. I really enjoyed their version of Just Haven't Met You Yet (this not from the actual show, but it's close enough). I thought it was fun and they had a lot of energy for some rigid choral singers from Yale.

In the end I'd be happy with either Streetcorner Symphony, Committed, or Groove For Thought winning - stay tuned to find out who it is!

1 comment: