Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Sing-Off Ep. 3

I missed this episode and am doing a surprisingly pathetic job of catching up on it - mostly due to lack of time to watch the episode and update my blog!

First off - this episode opened with a bang (literally, no pun intended...) - Green Day: 21 Guns - which I was hesitant with because it's a great song and if anyone butchered it I would be devestated, but they pulled it off pretty nicely. It was loud, full of power, and may or may not have brought a tear to my eye.

(After hearing this I've never been so determined to see the Green Day Musical in my entire life....)



This epsode was a bit different from the first two, as each groupd got to perform 2 songs - a classic rock hit & a song they considered a guilty pleasure. The breakdown of the night was as follows -
  • The Backbeats - "You Give Love a Bad Name" Bon Jovi & "Love Shack" B-52's
  • Street Corner Symphony - "Creep" Radiohead & "Come On Eileen" Dexys Midnight Runners
  • Jerry Lawson & Talk of the Town - "Satisfaction" Rolling Stones & "Easy" The Commodores
  • On The Rocks - "Pour Some Sugar On Me" Def Leppard & "Kyrie" Mr. Mister
  • Groove For Thought - "Changes" David Bowie & "You Make My Dreams" Hall and Oats
  • Committed - "Every Breath You Take" The Police & "I Want It That Way" The Backstreet Boys

I have to say Jerry Lawson KILLED IT in Satisfaction, swaying those hips in a way I didn't know someone of his age could. He seems to live and breath performing - it was perfection. And his backup singers are nothing short of fantastic as well, with all the energy of the other groups. I also can't be the only one to think that On The Rocks kind of butchered Pour Some Sugar On Me! Oh man....it was almost painful to listen to. Ouch.

HOWEVER - My favorite group of the show, Street Corner Symphony did not disapoint in the slightest. Their rendition of Come On Eileen was not only backed with talent, but it was fun & silly and I had the biggest grin on my face during the entire performance. If they don't win, I might cry. A lot.



And in a devestating turn of events...

SPOILER!!

Groove For Thought was sent home. Their rendition of Changes was a little...lacking....but I still love them.

Anyway, I promise I will be better with tonights episode - I will actually watch, listen, observe, and report. Until then....

"We've been making music all these years and we've still aint got no band!!" - JLTOTT

No comments:

Post a Comment